Your personal guide to the Best Dog Shampoo for Itching.
It can be very intimidating to see your canine companion scratch its body all the time. It is annoying for your dog as well. It is a pretty common thing to see. At first, it seems as insignificant as the way we feel itchy. But there is a chance something else could be the cause, especially in the case of dogs.
Dogs are quite playful by nature, probably more active than humans. So it is common for them to become a mess. Dirty hair, disheveled fur, and scratchy skin is a very common thing.
Dogs, like humans, require regular cleaning and maintenance of proper hygiene. They need healthy food, some exercise, and of course, some washing so that any dirt or microbes can be washed and not be allowed to breed.
In situations where your dog has itchy skin, you should not use a regular dog shampoo; and definitely not shampoo for humans. A regular dog shampoo has harsher ingredients which can worsen the itching. Instead, it is better to go for a shampoo that specifically deals with itching.
Best Dog Shampoos For Itching
1. Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs
Dogs can be prone to allergies of many kinds which include seasonal or object-induced allergies. If you are looking for a shampoo that addresses most of the allergies, then Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo would be the best pick.
First and foremost, this shampoo is medicated and recommended by veterinarians as well. It does not contain any chemicals like artificial fragrances, artificial colors, or alcohol. All the components of this shampoo are natural and harmless to your dog’s skin.
Vet’s Best Shampoo contains all-natural ingredients which include essential oils like tea tree oil and colloidal oatmeal which soothe the skin, providing relief from the itching, and also hydrate the skin. Its hypoallergenic qualities remove any allergy-causing germs while washing.
All you need to do is apply to your dog, lather, and let it rest for a few minutes. After that, rinse it off. Moreover, if your dog has undergone some treatments for fleas or ticks, the shampoo does not affect them. Being absolutely safe and gentle, it is fine for regular use.
Although it is great for allergies, there is a chance that it might not be effective on some dogs. If so, it is better to consult a vet for diagnosis if there is some other reason behind the itching.
- It contains all natural components which soothe the skin.
- It has hypoallergenic qualities.
- It has a fresh spa fragrance.
- It does not affect treatments for fleas and ticks, if any.
- It is safe for regular use.
- It hydrates the skin and reduces dryness.
- It might not be effective on some dogs.
- Some dogs may find the smell too strong.
- It does not lather well.
2. HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo with Essential Fatty Acids
Another shampoo on our list is the HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo by DVM Pharmaceuticals. It contains anti-allergic ingredients which help in reducing the itching and providing relief to the dog. The formula is soap-free which is good if your dog has sensitive skin or if the itching has left certain areas sensitive.
Dry skin is one of the most common reasons for itching. HyLyt Hypoallergenic shampoo contains natural moisturizers, which help in reducing the dryness of the skin and hydrating it. It prevents flaking and scaling of the skin. To use it, apply it on the wet coat and rinse it off.
HyLyt contains fatty acids which play an important role in nourishing the skin and hydrating it. It contains rosemary oil which reduces the flaking and dryness which can be caused by infections like seborrhea. This shampoo also works on redness and skin rashes. Rosemary oil also nourishes the haircoat.
Along with nourishment and moisturization, it also does regular cleaning by removing dirt, allergens, and parasites. Moreover, it does all the work without harming the skin or disturbing the pH level because the formula is pH-balanced.
HyLyt may not be all-natural, but it is gentle to the skin, calms the itching, and works on the root of the problem. This shampoo comes in a 160-ounce bottle and 1-gallon bottle. It can be relatively more expensive than other good dog shampoos in the market.
- It has a unique formula containing fatty acids for hydration and nourishment of the skin.
- It has hypoallergenic qualities.
- It is soap free.
- It reduces itching, dryness, flaking, and scaling of the skin.
- It has a nice fragrance.
- It is relatively expensive.
- It does not contain all natural ingredients.
3. Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Dog Shampoo
If your dog has an itching problem due to dry skin, the Earthbath Oatmeal and Aloe Dog Shampoo is a great option. It contains all-natural ingredients which would not harm your dog’s skin or hair, or cause irritation of any kind.
This shampoo is 100% biodegradable so it won’t harm the environment either.
Earthbath contains colloidal oatmeal and aloe which act as natural moisturizers which restore moisture and reduce itching. Being pH balanced, this shampoo is gentle on all skin types, especially sensitive skin. It contains no chemicals like parabens which can worsen skin irritation.
It has hypoallergenic qualities which help remove dirt, bacteria, fungi, and other allergens. It has a unique fragrance of vanilla and almond which is not too strong. The shampoo also works on the bad odor, you can be assured that your dog would smell great after every bath.
If your dog has been taking flea treatments, that’s no problem either. Earthbath does not wash them off or affect them in any way. It works not only on the skin but also on the hair by keeping the fur shiny, plushy, and tangle-free.
You can be assured of your money being well spent if you have purchased the Earthbath. It cleanses, deodorizes, and treats your dog without harming it. It is available in packs of one, two, or six.
- It is pH balanced and is gentle on all dog skin types.
- It has a nice fragrance.
- It is biodegradable.
- It reduces itching and skin irritation.
- It hydrates the skin.
- There are no chemicals included.
- It is not tested on animals.
- It is not effective for treating fleas and ticks.
- Except dry skin and related allergies, it would not be effective for other skin or hair problems.
4. Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiseptic and Antifungal Shampoo for Dogs and Cats
The Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiseptic and Antifungal Shampoo work for both dogs and cats. It is a medicated shampoo that has anti-fungal, anti-microbial, and anti-bacterial properties to combat all the infections that cause itchy skin to your dog.
This shampoo particularly caters to all the infections caused by bacteria and fungi. It contains benzethonium chloride and ketoconazole as the primary agents that clean the skin and hair. They also fight bacterial and fungal infections, thus reducing and eliminating them. It is also effective on yeast infections, which are a subset of fungal infections.
Apart from cleansing, Veterinary Formula also soothes the skin and with its deodorizing properties, it kills bad odor and replaces it with a fresh fragrance. Like the Earthbath, it has long-lasting effects. For easy application, it comes as a spray bottle.
The shampoo won’t irritate your dog as its formula is soap-free and contains no parabens. It does contain chemicals but none of them is particularly harsh. It contains aloe vera which helps in healing the redness and itching. Aloe also moisturizes the skin naturally.
All the ingredients in this shampoo are approved by veterinarians which means it is absolutely safe for use on dogs and cats. It is still better to not use it on puppies or small dogs because it could be harsh for them.
- It has a soap free formula.
- It contains no harsh chemicals like parabens.
- It cleanses and deodorises the skin.
- It comes as a spray bottle.
- Aloe vera hydrates, soothes, and recovers the skin.
- It has anti fungal and anti bacterial properties.
- Despite being totally safe, it could prove harsh for puppies and small dogs.
- It contains artificial colours.
5. 4-Legger Organic Hypoallergenic Lemongrass & Aloe Dog Shampoo
4 Legger has been one of the top brands which are preferred by veterinarians and dog groomers who prefer natural products. This shampoo is all vegan and organic and is also approved by the USDA. It is gentle on the skin and cleanses naturally. Moreover, it is eco-friendly so you contribute your share in protecting the environment.
4 Legger does not contain any chemicals like parabens, alcohol, artificial colors and fragrances, and sulfates which can aggravate the irritation or cause harm to the skin. It has no artificial thickening agents for shampoo-like consistency, thus, you may find this shampoo thinner than others.
This shampoo contains ingredients like rosemary oil and lemongrass oil which are natural pest repellents. So if your dog has fleas and ticks, this shampoo would work fine. It also contains essential oils like olive oil, coconut oil, and jojoba oil which nourish the skin and coat.
Aloe vera is a natural moisturizer. Aloe, in conjunction with the essential oils, hydrates the skin and reduce dryness. It also helps the skin heal from any inflammation and irritation and calms the skin. Other than that, this shampoo also works well in bacterial and fungal infections.
Whether your dog has normal skin or sensitive skin, this shampoo is gentle on both. The lemongrass leaves a fresh fragrance behind. 4 legger has other fragrances too, including one that has no fragrance if that is what suits you and your dog.
- It is gentle on both normal and sensitive skin types.
- It does not wash away natural oils.
- It is made of all vegan ingredients.
- It is not tested on animals.
- It has hypoallergenic properties.
- It can be used on both puppies and older dogs.
- It has a thinner consistency because of exclusion of artificial thickeners.
6. Dechra MiconaHex+Triz Dog Shampoo
You never know how and when an infection might occur. What looked once like a tiny sore turn large and after that, it is obvious. Fungal infections, in particular, are difficult to eliminate because of their recurring nature. MiconaHex + Triz is one such medicated shampoo that can work on bacterial and fungal infections.
MiconaHex contains miconazole nitrate and chlorhexidine gluconate, both of them having antimicrobial properties that act on skin infections. It contains TrizEDTA which has anti-bacterial and hypoallergenic properties which helps in repelling the bacteria and other allergens from the skin.
Apart from these qualities, MiconaHex also relieves the skin from itching, preventing further scratching or licking. It contains ceramides that moisturize the skin and make the hair smooth and silky. You need to use this shampoo two times a week. The effects last even after rinsing the lather off.
The inclusion of lemongrass and lavender oil does the final work of removing the bad odor and replacing it with a refreshing and calm fragrance. Your dog would feel happy all day. This shampoo can also be used on cats and horses and is available in 16 ounce and 8-ounce quantities. It is also available in packs of 2 or 3 bottles.
- It can be used on dogs, cats, and horses.
- It lathers and washes off easily.
- It has anti microbial properties.
- Lemongrass and lavender leaves a nice smell.
- It does not dry the skin.
- The rather needs to rest for 8 to 10 minutes.
- In some dogs, it can cause skin irritation.
7. Honeydew Pet Pleasant Lavender Oatmeal Pet Shampoo
Honeydew is known for using natural oils and essences for its dog grooming products. Under the Pet Pleasant brand, it tries to achieve more by adding more nutrients than before. The Pet Pleasant lavender Oatmeal Pet Shampoo is a part of this range.
The Pet Pleasant Lavender Oatmeal Shampoo has hypoallergenic qualities and works on reducing the itching due to dry skin or flaking. It contains no harmful chemicals like sulfates and parabens and does not contain artificial fragrances so you can be sure that it is safe for use.
The formulation is approved by vets and is meant to address dogs with sensitive skin. You can also use this shampoo on pups because it is gentle to the skin and does not cause any irritation to the eyes or nose. However, like with any other dog cosmetic, we would recommend doing a patch test to see if there is any reaction.
Pet Pleasant contains colloidal oatmeal which does an all-around work of nourishing the skin, moisturizing it, and pacifying the affected areas. Primrose oil and lavender oil has a beautiful fragrance and provides a relaxing sensation to your dog. This can be helpful in case your dog is not a fan of bathing.
This shampoo also contains jojoba oil which is a natural moisturizer and has anti-microbial properties to combat infections. Jojoba oil also nourishes the hair, making it soft and shiny. Pet Pleasant is absolutely cruelty-free and a good buy. The only major con is that it comes in a small bottle.
- It is affordable.
- It has a mild, no tears formula.
- Hypoallergenic qualities help in fighting skin allergens.
- There are no sulphates or other harmful chemicals.
- It calms the itching, kills bad odour, and cleanses the skin.
- Lavender oil leaves a beautiful fragrance.
- Jojoba oil nourishes the haircoat, making it silky and shiny.
- It comes in a small bottle.
- It might take more than one rinse to wash the lather off.
- If your dog has prior skin conditions, this product is not recommended.
8. EQyss Micro-Tek Medicated Pet Shampoo
EQyss products aim to use natural and plant-based ingredients wherever possible. The Micro Tek is one of the best among their dog grooming merchandise and contains vet-approved ingredients. It is non-toxic and is also safe for the environment.
According to EQyss, oatmeal is not good because it can be an allergen. On the usage of oatmeal-based shampoos, it leaves a powdery coating on hair and skin, dulling the shine and even causing skin conditions if it continues to build up. So you won’t find oatmeal in their products.
This shampoo contains zero harsh chemicals like alcohol and sulfates which could potentially cause irritation or a reaction. The formulation acts fact against itching, inflammation, and even cuts and bites caused by scratching or biting the itchy spots.
EQyss Micro-Tek Medicated Pet Shampoo is very powerful against viral, bacterial, and fungal infections. It works effectively on conditions like seborrhea and ringworms. It contains a flowery smell which is effective in removing the “musty dog-like smell” and replacing it with a nice perfume-like fragrance.
As per the claims of EQyss, you can see the results right after the first bath. It does not affect flea treatments if your dog takes any. For better results, you can use the Micro Tek spray. It is safe and effective for not only dogs but also puppies and even cats.
- It is potent against allergy related skin problems.
- It is affordable.
- It has a long lasting result.
- The formulation is non toxic and eco friendly.
- The flea treatments remain unaffected.
- It is safe to use on sensitive skin.
- It comes in a 16 ounce bottle only.
- The fragrance of the shampoo could be overwhelming for some dogs or owners.
9. Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic and Antiseborrheic Medicated Shampoo for Dogs
Another one from the Veterinary Formula Clinical Care range, this medical shampoo performs a slightly wider range of functions. While it is always better to get skin infections examined by a vet, if you are looking for a shampoo that provides symptomatic relief and heals the skin, then this is a great option.
This shampoo mainly caters to the itchy skin caused by parasites, bacteria, fungi, and other allergic conditions. The Veterinary Formula shampoo contains vet-recommended ingredients and is absolutely free from harmful chemicals like parabens, dyes, and soap which would cause unnecessary irritation.
It contains a mix of active ingredients and natural ingredients which enable swift action against the skin which is affected by allergies or conditions like mange, dermatitis, and seborrhea. As active ingredients, it contains coal tar which cleans the flaky skin.
Salicylic acid and micronized sulfur work on the affected area and heal the skin from redness, rashes, greasy skin, and other conditions. The shampoo also contains colloidal oatmeal and allantoin which naturally moisturize the skin and also have anti-fungal properties.
The shampoo takes care that the pH balance does not get disturbed which would cause dryness. You need to use it 2-3 times on a weekly basis depending on the condition. It comes in 128 ounces and 16-ounce quantities.
- It works on a number of skin infections and provides symptomatic relief.
- It pacifies the itching and redness.
- Colloidal oatmeal and allantoin act as natural hydrators for the skin.
- It does not disturb the pH balance.
- It is free of harmful chemicals and dyes.
- It has anti microbial properties.
- It may not be very effective in case of fungal infections despite having anti fungal qualities.
- The fragrance may be too intense.
- It is recommended for dogs over 12 weeks.
10. Pro Pet Works Natural Oatmeal Dog Shampoo and Conditioner for Dogs
Pro Pet Works Oatmeal dog shampoo and conditioner is another great product that would work well for your dog. It is made of all-natural ingredients and contains no harmful chemicals like alcohol, artificial colors and perfumes, and parabens. Being made of biodegradable and recycled materials, it is eco-friendly as well.
This product is mainly designed for dogs with sensitive skin and pets with allergies to food, grass, or fleas. The formula does not disturb the pH balance of the skin and it is approved by veterinarians.
It is absolutely safe for use since all components are organic. It contains colloidal oatmeal, aloe vera, and almond oil which comfort the itchy skin and also heal it. They also have hypoallergenic qualities which means they can counteract against the allergens by killing it and repelling the bacteria.
This shampoo also contains vitamins A, D, and E which nourish the dog’s skin and hair in conjunction with the oatmeal and almond oil. This mix of ingredients cleanses the skin and softens the hair. You can be sure that using it would not cause any irritation to the dog’s nose or eyes and your dog will have a lively look with a shiny coat.
- It is usable on dogs and cats.
- It works well on dryness, dandruff, and flaky skin.
- It has hypoallergenic qualities.
- It is safe to use it on dogs with sensitive skin.
- It nutrifies the dog’s skin and haircoat.
- It contains no harmful chemicals and is an all natural shampoo.
- It is biodegradable.
- The fragrance can be too strong for some people and dogs.
What is Causing The Itch?
There could be one or multiple reasons for that. Generally, it is not a worrisome situation as it happens due to skin getting dry or sensitive. Most itchy skin cases turn out to be that. What a vet would recommend is regular cleaning of your dog.
However, there can be many other reasons that could be causing your dog to scratch. Here is a list of the most common causes that can cause itchy skin. But first, let’s look at the symptoms that can help you identify that.
- Notice if your dog is scratching itself more than usual. If your dog is scratching too much, it is obvious that it has an itchy skin.
- Instead of or along with scratching, your dog might be chewing or licking at some places where it was scratching before.
- Your dog could also be rubbing or scratching against things to relieve itself from the itching.
- There could be some redness on the skin or some hair loss.
- Like human scalp, there could be some flakes or dandruff on the skin.
Noticing such symptoms can help you take the dog to the vet as early as possible so that the actual cause can be diagnosed and avoid worsening the condition.
Here are the causes that can lead to itching.
- Skin dryness.
- Allergies caused by things like dust, pollen or from things around the house.
- Food allergies caused by improper diet, leading to a certain deficiency or allergy from a specific food item.
- Infection caused by bacteria or fungi.
- Insect bites and pests like fleas and ticks.
- An imbalance in hormones like hypothyroidism.
- Autoimmune diseases.
- External environment which causes dryness.
- Allergies occurring from the soap or shampoo you could be using for cleaning your dog.
- Allergies that can be caused by the cleaning chemicals that you use for regular cleaning of your house.
Would Using a Shampoo Specialized for Dogs help?
We mentioned earlier about not using human shampoo because of them being harsher. This is because there is a difference in the pH levels of the skins of dogs and humans. Humans have a range of 5.2 to 6.2 which is neutral for humans.
But for dogs who have a skin pH range of 5.5 to 7.5 the human range would be acidic in nature. Shampoos are manufactured in a way that the pH balance does not get disturbed. Dog shampoos keep this balance maintained and avoid dryness, flaking, and infections while hydrating the skin.
Dog shampoos that are specifically made for itching can help reduce the itch and even combat the cause behind it. They contain ingredients that are meant to work on the problem and allow your dog to feel more at ease. Depending on the reason, your shampoo will be different so that it deals with the exact cause and not just reduce the urge to scratch.
Even if your dog is not going through an itchy situation, you should use dog shampoo if you want to care for your pet as best as you can. Maintaining proper hygiene by bathing your dog regularly would remove the dirt and not allow bacteria or microbes to form. Cleaning regularly would also mean fewer visits to the veterinarian.
In short, if you own a dog, you should keep a dog shampoo at your home.
What Things to Look for While Buying a Dog Shampoo?
Most of the time, you might not even need to look for specific qualities in a dog shampoo. Your first visit to the vet could be enough. The vet would prescribe a dog shampoo that would take care of the problem. However, this is generally good for first-timers or if the itching is a little worse than usual.
You don’t need to visit a vet all the time for dog shampoo, especially when like any other thing, you can figure out on your own what kind of shampoo would work the best. Here are a few things you should look out for when you are buying a dog shampoo.
1) Age of Your Dog
If you own a puppy, then look for the shampoo that is specifically manufactured for puppies. Puppies have somewhat more delicate skin than a dog and these shampoos are milder to their skin, causing less irritation. Moreover, they also do not cause any irritation to the nose and eyes.
2) Type of Skin and Hair Coat
Doing a self-examination of your dog’s skin and hair coat can provide you with the right clues regarding the right shampoo to purchase. For dogs with thicker coats, it is better to use a shampoo that includes a conditioner.
Your dog’s skin can be sensitive so in such cases, you should go for milder shampoos. If you are having difficulty finding the right product, it is absolutely fine to consult a vet who would help you out.
If your dog has oily skin, it would mean more stink and shampoo that can deal with excessive oil formation. For dry skin, a shampoo with moisturizers is better. In both cases, your dog can have itchy skin.
3) Fleas or ticks
For fleas and ticks, there are shampoos that can eliminate them by killing or removing them. For recurring or persistent problems, getting treatment would be better because your shampoo might not be enough to deal with it. Your vet can also suggest the right shampoo which should be used during the treatment.
Dogs have body odor too. It does not matter that your dog is too playful or lazy, the sweat might lead to a foul smell. If so, you need a shampoo that not only cleanses but also has deodorizing properties to remove the stinky smell.
5) No Chemicals
This is an important point because chemical-based shampoos can have adverse reactions like skin irritation or inflammation. These shampoos contain ingredients like artificial colors, artificial fragrances, parabens, alcohol, sulfates, and other products, which can dry the skin and cause skin problems, hair loss, or aggravate an existing problem.
6) Natural products
While chemical-based shampoos may not be right, it is better to use a shampoo that includes natural ingredients and essential oils like colloidal oatmeal, tea tree oil, coconut oil, aloe vera, and glycerine.
These ingredients not only help in countering bacteria and fungi but also have no side effects that can cause irritation. Instead, they have a soothing effect that reduces the itching and allows your dog to be more comfortable. They also moisturize the skin instead of drying it.
Organic shampoos have zero chemicals and are all-natural because they adhere to certain standards which are laid down by the USDA. Using these shampoos for regular use is safe for your dog.
6) Anti Dander Qualities
Remember how it feels when you comb your hair and the comb gets stuck in your hair because of tangles? Your dog can face the same problem, at least for the ones with longer and thicker hair. Fur tangles do not allow the skin to breathe by hampering the air ventilation.
The air comes in contact naturally with the skin if the fur is clean and untangled. Lack of it causes the sweat to stay on the skin for longer, causing unpleasant smells and itchy skin. It can also lead to skin infections. Hence, a shampoo with anti-dander qualities would be great to avoid such a situation and keep dog hair neat and silky.
You must look closely for any ingredient that could cause an allergic reaction to your dog or increase an existing allergy. Avoid any shampoo that contains such ingredients and go for the ones that do not contain such allergens.
8) Hypoallergenic Qualities
If your dog has skin allergies, it is better to look for a shampoo that not only reduces the itching but also reduces and eliminates the allergy. These shampoos have a more soothing effect. Shampoos with natural components generally have hypoallergenic qualities.
Simple Tips to Bathe a Dog With Itchy Skin
It gets confusing when it comes to how many times you should bathe your dog. Some say too much would render their skin dry and flaky, while others say that regular washing keeps them clean and itch-free.
There is no single answer to this. The reason is that it depends on the breed of the dog, the health, the skin, and the amount of physical activity it does. What works for one may not work for another. For example, a dog spending more time outdoors would require more bathing. If you find your dog dirty or smelly, it needs a bath.
For itching and allergies, bathing should be done accordingly. Your vet can fill you in with all the details regarding the dog cleaning. So you don’t have to worry about making mistakes. Meanwhile, here is a little information from our end which might come in handy for regular cleaning in case of itchy skin.
- Always use cold water for cleaning your dog. Warm or hot water may cause irritation on the affected areas. Cold water would have a calming effect and your dog will feel at ease.
- Because itching leaves the affected areas sensitive, use a shampoo that is mild to the skin. Even if it is a medicated shampoo, make sure you lather it and allow the foam to rest on the dog’s body. This allows the components to act properly and provide better results.
- You can create a dog rinse by adding equal parts of water and apple cider vinegar and making a solution of it. After washing off the soap, you can use this rinse and then wash it off.
- Use a towel to dry your dog. Do not use a hair dryer as it would remove the moisture and dry the skin too much.
- You can use coconut oil as a conditioner. Apply it on the body of your dog and leave it. Coconut oil naturally moisturises the skin.
And here we are, at the end of this article. We do understand how precious and childlike is the relationship between a man and his best friend. Spending time with it has an unexplainable pleasure. So anything happening to it can bother you even if it is negligible like scratching its back or face.
Our list intends to narrow down your search and help you in identifying the right shampoo in a more practical way. Our list contains organic and nonorganic shampoos but even in the non-organic ones, the formula is approved by veterinarians. We would still recommend doing a small patch test by yourself.
Itchy skin is a symptomatic reaction to something, and only a vet can precisely find the root cause among the many. We hope that our article gave you a little more knowledge about itchy skin and what shampoo to look for in such a situation. Have a great day!